15 car pile-up leaves 1 dead, 15 injured
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
A serious accident occurred on National Highway 1 on Friday early morning killing one person and injuring 15 after a truck trailer lost control and veered on to an oncoming Punjab roadways bus. The initial accident was followed by 15 more vehicles crashing into each other on both sides of the road. The accident, suspected to have been caused due to foggy conditions, occurred near Verka Milk plant following which a traffic jam could be seen on NH-1 from PAP to Vidhipur Fatak throughout the day.
The deceased was identified as Paramjit Singh, gunman of Amritsar DSP (Jails). Paramjit was travelling in a vehicle with the DSP when a car rammed into them. According to an eyewitness, Paramjit got out to see the damage and was hit by a bus coming from behind
Of the 15 injured, five were admitted to Jalandhar Civil Hospital and ten were taken to private hospitals.
Sarvan Singh, one of the injured, said: "On the highway the vehicles move at a fast pace and we found no time to swerve to avoid hitting the cars."