15 car pile-up leaves 1 dead, 15 injured
- BJP nominee to Narendra Modi critics: You will soon be in Pakistan, not India
- China says no to Arunachal youth in India delegation, minister says letâs call off trip
- Lok Sabha polls: Tamizh Talkies
- Upar Narendra, neeche Bhupinder... new BJP slogan echoes in states of rivals
- Elections LIVE 2014: FIR lodged against Ajit Pawar for threatening villagers to vote for Sule
A serious accident occurred on National Highway 1 on Friday early morning killing one person and injuring 15 after a truck trailer lost control and veered on to an oncoming Punjab roadways bus. The initial accident was followed by 15 more vehicles crashing into each other on both sides of the road. The accident, suspected to have been caused due to foggy conditions, occurred near Verka Milk plant following which a traffic jam could be seen on NH-1 from PAP to Vidhipur Fatak throughout the day.
The deceased was identified as Paramjit Singh, gunman of Amritsar DSP (Jails). Paramjit was travelling in a vehicle with the DSP when a car rammed into them. According to an eyewitness, Paramjit got out to see the damage and was hit by a bus coming from behind
Of the 15 injured, five were admitted to Jalandhar Civil Hospital and ten were taken to private hospitals.
Sarvan Singh, one of the injured, said: "On the highway the vehicles move at a fast pace and we found no time to swerve to avoid hitting the cars."