152 Indian players sign up for HIL players auction
- Army Chief Dalbir Singh to visit J&K to review security situation along LoC
- US objects to Pakistan's nuclear threats against India
- Day after strikes: BSF told to use 'full force' against ceasefire violations
- J&K: Pakistani troops resort to mortar shelling along LoC, no casualties
- Jharkhand: 4 killed, several injured in clashes; ASP assaulted in Hazaribagh
The crème de la crème of Indian hockey will be part of the 152 domestic players who will be up for grabs in the inaugural Hockey India League players auction to be held here on December 1.
HI secretary general and HIL chairman, Narinder Batra today expressed confidence that the quality of competition in the inaugural edition of the event, scheduled from January 5 to February 3 next year, would be of very high standards.
Releasing the list of 152 Indian players who have signed up for HIL players' auction, Batra said the organisers are proud to have roped in more than 250 players for the tournament, including over 90 overseas players.
The 152 players include all the big names of Indian hockey -- from HIL brand ambassador and newly-appointed Indian team captain Sardar Singh to skipper of junior men's team Manpreet Singh and former skipper Bharat Chetri.
"I am sure the six franchisees will find the task of picking combinations of 10 overseas and 14 Indian players to be a very exciting. We have signed up a number of players for all positions," Batra said in a statement.
"We are sure each of the six sides that will take shape at the HIL players' auction will be very competitive squads and can offer wonderful quality.
"From the players' perspective, we are sure that each of the 84 Indians, including a number of juniors, who will be picked up by the franchisees, will benefit from being a part of Hockey India League," Batra said.
"We believe Hockey India League will give terrific exposure to our players and help groom a generation of players who can compete with the world's best."
- India may want calibrated strategic escalation, but this genie will not be put back in easily
- Swachh Bharat completes 2 years, but eliminating open defecation is a distant goal
- Pak does not know what it has lost, India doesn’t recognise where it is winning
- Nathuram Godse was a product of the political climate created by the Hindu right wing
- Why there are protests against Gandhi’s statue in Ghana University
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP