152 Indian players sign up for HIL players auction
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
The crème de la crème of Indian hockey will be part of the 152 domestic players who will be up for grabs in the inaugural Hockey India League players auction to be held here on December 1.
HI secretary general and HIL chairman, Narinder Batra today expressed confidence that the quality of competition in the inaugural edition of the event, scheduled from January 5 to February 3 next year, would be of very high standards.
Releasing the list of 152 Indian players who have signed up for HIL players' auction, Batra said the organisers are proud to have roped in more than 250 players for the tournament, including over 90 overseas players.
The 152 players include all the big names of Indian hockey -- from HIL brand ambassador and newly-appointed Indian team captain Sardar Singh to skipper of junior men's team Manpreet Singh and former skipper Bharat Chetri.
"I am sure the six franchisees will find the task of picking combinations of 10 overseas and 14 Indian players to be a very exciting. We have signed up a number of players for all positions," Batra said in a statement.
"We are sure each of the six sides that will take shape at the HIL players' auction will be very competitive squads and can offer wonderful quality.
"From the players' perspective, we are sure that each of the 84 Indians, including a number of juniors, who will be picked up by the franchisees, will benefit from being a part of Hockey India League," Batra said.
"We believe Hockey India League will give terrific exposure to our players and help groom a generation of players who can compete with the world's best."
The list of 152 Indian players comprises of 19 goalkeepers, 23 defenders, 39 midfielders and 71 forwards.
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held