15th IFFK begins
- Supreme Court curtails BCCI's financial powers, independent auditor to scrutinise accounts
- Bhubaneswar hospital fire: More patients succumb to injuries, death toll reaches 24
- Embraer aircraft deal: CBI names defence agent Vipin Khanna as key beneficiary in payoffs FIR
- Scrap English requirement, references that insult India: RSS edu wing to HRD
- US: 500 million pages of sensitive govt record stolen by ex-NSA contractor
The 15th International Film Festival Of Kerala (IFFK), held at Thiruvananthapuram, was inaugurated on December 10. State Chief Minister V.S.Achuthanandan lit the inaugural lamp at the event that was also graced by personalities from different fields of activity. Veteran actress Waheeda Rahman, who was the chief guest, was felicitated by Cultural Affairs minister M.A.Baby while noted German director Werner Herzog was awarded a Lifetime Achievement award, and a book based on his life and films was also released.
The 15th IFFK, which ended on December 17, showcased 207 films from 83 countries. Over 120 film personalities from different countries participated in the festival, which began with the screening of the Iranian film Please Don't Disturb, directed by Mohsin Abdul Wahab at the Nishagandhi open-air auditorium.
Poet, lyricist ONV Kurup, who won the Jnanpith award recently, was honoured at the inaugural ceremony, which also witnessed the official bulletin of the festival being presented by Mayor, Advocate K. Chandrika to the Kerala Film Producers' Association General-Secretary Suresh Kumar. The festival catalogue was presented by Adoor Gopalakrishnan to the Cuban Ambassador in India, Miguel Angel Ramirez. Festival director Bina Paul introduced the jury members to the audience.
The one-week long festival was held at different venues in Thiruvananthapuram, including Kairali, Sree, Kalabhavan, New, Sree Kumar, Sree Vishakh, Ajanta, Sree Padmanabha, Dhanya and Remya theatres. Open forum discussions, face-to-face interactions and talks were part of the event.
- Khurram Parvez jailing appears unjust, against govt’s self-interest in troubled Kashmir
- Under PM Modi, new synergy between India’s economic & foreign policy
- Climate justice must be ingrained in rules of new climate compacts
- Despite his outrageous views, Donald Trump represents hope to many Americans
- One advantage of redefining military action as surgery is that it mobilises rhetoric of health
- SC stand on triple talaq remains to be seen