16 countries to take part in World Cup Kabaddi
- Hang me if I have committed crime, no apology: Narendra Modi
- Elections 2014 LIVE: EC censures Amit Shah, Azam Khan over controversial remarks
- Rahul Gandhi tells Narendra Modi: 'Ullu' banana band karo
- Serious allegations against N Srinivasan in IPL spot-fixing probe report, keep him away from BCCI: Supreme Court
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score: Malinga breaks solid stand, cleans up Pandey for 64
Sixteen countries will be taking part in the 3rd edition of World Cup Kabaddi, scheduled to be held from December 1 to 15.
Punjab's deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, while reviewing preparations for the tournament, announced doubling of prize money for women's teams from Rs 25 lakh to 51 lakh for the winner, Rs 15 lakh to 31 lakh for the runners-up and Rs 10 to 21 lakh for the third position.
In the men's category, the prize money has already been doubled to Rs 2 crore for winner, Rs 1 crore for runners-up and Rs 51 lakh for the third placed team.
He said that countries including England, Afghanistan, Denmark, Canada, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Norway, Pakistan, Sierra Leone, Scotland, Argentina, Italy, Iran, Kenya and USA have given their consent to participate in the meet.
He said that in the women's section seven countries including India, Canada, Denmark, England, Turkmenistan, USA and Malaysia would vie for Rs 1.43 crore prize money.
The opening ceremony would be held at Bhatinda on December 1 and the cup would be played at 13 venues of Patiala, Hoshiarpur, Amritsar, Sangrur, Roop Nagar, Doda, Chohla Sahib, Fazilka, Gurdaspur, Mansa, Bathinda, Jalandhar and Ludhiana.
He said that the men's teams would be stationed at Jalandhar and Bathinda whereas the women's teams would be stationed at Ludhiana.