16 countries to take part in World Cup Kabaddi
- Live, Ind vs Aus: Quick strikes put India on top
- Bengal nun gangrape: First arrest made from Mumbai
- Germanwings crash: Chilling report says one pilot left cockpit, was unable to return
- If anything that is defamatory goes off, we will have a very boring Internet: Jaitley
- Hooda govt bent rules to favour Robert Vadra firm: CAG
Sixteen countries will be taking part in the 3rd edition of World Cup Kabaddi, scheduled to be held in Punjab from December 1 to 15.
Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, while reviewing preparations for the tournament, announced doubling of prize money for women's teams from Rs 25 lakh to 51 lakh for the winner, Rs 15 lakh to 31 lakh for the runners-up and Rs 10 to 21 lakh for the third position.
In the men's category, the prize money has already been doubled to Rs 2 crore for winner, Rs 1 crore for runners-up and Rs 51 lakh for the third placed team.
He said that countries including England, Afghanistan, Denmark, Canada, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Norway, Pakistan, Sierra Leone, Scotland, Argentina, Italy, Iran, Kenya and USA will participate in the meet.
The opening ceremony would be held at Bhatinda on December 1 and the cup would be played at 13 venues.