16-yr-old dies in fight with classmate
- In Dadri, BJP's Sangeet Som accuses UP govt of framing innocent men for lynching incident
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says doctor
- Shashank Manohar unanimously elected as new BCCI president
- Non-declarants of foreign assets to be tried under black money law: FM
- Bihar polls: 130 candidates with serious criminal charges to contest in first phase
A fight between two schoolboys on Wednesday evening resulted in the death of one of them, 16-year-old Irfan Abdul Qureshi. The accused classmate was detained by police and sent to the Dongri Children's Home, as he was a juvenile.
A fight between Qureshi, a class-9 student of Alittath Urdu High School in Jogeshwari west, and the classmate broke out when they had gone to attend tuition at the same school in Vikas Nagar area after school hours.
On Wednesday, when the accused, who was weak in studies, reached tuition class, Irfan allegedly intercepted him and threatened to complain to their teacher Adbul Jabbar Shaikh that he had been bunking classes.
Police said Irfan was a diligent student and used to urge the accused to attend tuition regularly to do well in their exams, but the accused allegedly never paid heed.
Before the tuition classes on Wednesday evening, Irfan and his friends gathered as usual at the school grounds, where the accused confronted Irfan for threatening to complain against him. The accused allegedly punched Irfan.
"The boys rained blows on each other. The fight became so violent that Irfan, hit hard on the chest, fell unconscious on the ground," said an officer.
"When I saw that no student was in class, I went outside and saw the boys fighting. I ran to stop them, and saw Irfan falling to the ground," said Shaikh, who informed police and Irfan's parents. They rushed Irfan to Nanavati Hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival.