174 death row convicts in UP: govt
- Cricketer Mohd Kaif, Nilekani, Ravi Kishen among 194 in Congress' first list of candidates for the Lok Sabha polls
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- Ink attack on AAP leader Yogendra Yadav at Jantar Mantar
Uttar Pradesh tops the list among states with the number of persons sentenced to death but are yet to be executed.
According to statistics, out of a total of 477 death row convicts across the country, UP has 174 such convicts in its prisons as of last December, followed by Karnataka and Maharashtra having 61 and 50 cases pending respectively.
This was stated by Minister of State for Home Affairs Mullapally Ramachandran in a written reply in Rajya Sabha.
"Every convict is allowed to avail legal as well as Constitutional remedies available against their conviction, which is a time-consuming process," he said.
Asked about the detailed reasons why there are cases of convicts not being executed for five years or more, the minister said: "No such data is maintained centrally."