CES 2014: NVIDIA's super chip 'Tegra K1' brings 192 cores to mobile devices
- Telangana LIVE: Bill passed by throwing all norms to the wind, says Kiran Kumar Reddy after quitting Congress
- Protests in RS over Telangana, papers snatched from Secretary General
- Rajiv Gandhi killers to be released, Jayalalithaa takes decision at Tamil Nadu Cabinet meet
- Decision to black out Telangana proceedings taken by Lok Sabha secretariat, confirms Kamal Nath
- Express 5: AAP kickstarts its poll funding drive and Telangana Bill passed in Lok Sabha
Chipmaker NVIDIA has just pushed the game for cores to a whole new level. Its latest, the Tegra K1, launched at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas just hours ago, has an unprecedented 192 cores, making it a super chip in all restpects.
Tegra K1 will also be the first to feature the NVIDIA Kepler architecture that powers the fastest graphics card on the planet, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti. This will in effect bring next-generation PC gaming to the mobile platforms.
The company said Tegra K1 is offered in two pin-to-pin compatible versions, a 32-bit quad-core (4-Plus-1 ARM Cortex-A15 CPU) and a custom NVIDIA-designed 64-bit dual Super Core CPU. This Project Denver CPU delivers high single-thread and multi-thread performance. Both versions deliver stunning graphics and visual computing capabilities powered by the 192-core NVIDIA Kepler GPU, NVIDIA claimed.
So what does Tegra K1, bring for the user?
1. It will offer support for the latest PC-class gaming technologies like DirectX 11, OpenGL 4.4 and tessellation. This will enable it to run the world's most advanced game engine, Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4. It will hence have the same graphics features as next-gen gaming consoles like the Xbox One, PS 4 and faster performance in comparison to earlier consoles like the Xbox 360 and PS 3.
2. It will offer advanced computation capabilities to speed applications for computer vision and speech recognition. Plus, it will support NVIDIA CUDA, the world's most pervasive parallel computing platform that enables computer vision, advanced imaging, speech recognition, video editing and more.
3. More cores will bring in energy efficiency and NVIDIA claims it will be more than any other mobile GPU at the same power level. Kepler is the world's fastest and most energy-efficient GPU architecture, powering all 10 of the world's most energy-efficient supercomputers
- Money talks: ‘Unanimous’ SLC gets on board with ICC revamp plan
- The great Game Folio: Silk routes
- In taxing times, realtors discover ‘fringe’ benefits
- Few takers for UT scholarships, students claim not enough info
- Interim budget focuses on transport but misses out on Metro Rail for UT
- GPP to become history, will merge with BJP next week in Modi’s presence