19-year-old sneaks guns inside court, murders undertrial in public view
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR face stiff CSK challenge in Dubai
A 19-year-old youth smuggled in guns after breaching the security at the Rohini court complex on Wednesday and shot dead an undertrial, who was being brought in by police. A policeman was also injured in the firing.
The youth, Mukesh, has been arrested.
Police said the undertrial, Naveen Khatri (25), was arrested for the murder of Mukesh's friend Sushil in 2010.
According to police, Mukesh had meticulously planned the murder. He even found a way to sneak a gun inside the high-security court premises.
"There is a tea shop right outside the court, set against its wall. Mukesh wrapped a country-made firearm and a revolver in a polythene bag. On the pretext of having tea, he discreetly placed it on the iron grill around the court complex," DCP (Outer) B S Jaiswal said.
He said Mukesh then stood in the queue of litigants at Gate No. 5 and entered the court, passing through door frame metal detectors. He underwent the mandatory physical security check as well. Once inside, he went to the spot where he had hidden his weapons, collected them and then waited for the police to bring in Khatri.
When Khatri arrived, Mukesh loaded his pistol — reportedly in full public view — and fired at least twice at him.
After shooting, Mukesh ran towards the court building in a bid to escape. Constable Raj Kumar chased and nabbed him on the second floor.
A revolver and a countrymade firearm were recovered from Mukesh.
"Khatri was shot in the back from close range. He was taken to BR Ambedkar Hospital where doctors declared him dead. A policeman who sustained a bullet injury in his leg was also admitted to the hospital. He is stable," Jaiswal said.
Khatri and Mukesh are from Baankner in Narela. Jaiswal said they are from rival gangs. Mukesh belongs to the "Ashwini gang", whose leader was arrested last year.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'