19-year-old stages kidnap, demands Rs 3 cr from father
- Bihar: School director dies after mob assault over death of two students
- PM spoke about Rakhi, but neglected Muslims during 'Ramzan': Congress
- Watch video: CCTV captures Mumbai local ramming into station
- Another Vyapam scam accused dies; 24th death in the case
- Sushma's Ministry declines info under RTI on Lalit Modi's passport issue
Thirteen days after he went missing and his father began receiving SMSes demanding a ransom of Rs 3 crore, the Outer District police on Friday traced a 19-year-old who, police said, had staged his own abduction.
Police said the boy, a Class XII student, was traced to Old Delhi railway station by a police team.
"He went missing on December 21. His family did not lodge a missing complaint till December 23, the day when his father, a doctor, received an SMS demanding Rs 3 crore as ransom," a police officer said.
During investigation, police traced the location of the boy's mobile phone to Bardhaman district in West Bengal. Police said the boy's father hailed from here.
"Though a team was sent to Bardhaman with the boy's father, he could not be found. We also searched railway stations in Delhi and, during one of these searches, we found the boy at Old Delhi railway station," the officer said.
During questioning, the boy allegedly admitted that he had left home and plotted the abduction drama to get money from his father, police said.