19-yr-old tribal girl raped in Dangs, one arrested
- Mali hostage crisis ends as security forces gun down militants; 27 killed
- Sheena Bora case: Peter charged with murder, criminal conspiracy
- Nitish Kumar sworn in as Bihar Chief Minister; Lalu's sons in Cabinet
- UP keeps its distance from Bihar: Why Mulayam, Akhilesh didn't attend Nitish swearing-in
- Madras HC stays cancellation of Greenpeace India registration
Two men allegedly raped a 19-year-old tribal girl in the forest area of the Dangs district on Tuesday afternoon. One of them has been arrested, police said, adding that search is on for the other suspect.
The two suspects have been identified as Harshad Bharwad (29), a native of Bhavnagar district and his friend Shanker Parmar (40), a native of Surendranagar district.
According to police, the victim, a resident of Majirpada village in the Dangs district, was alone in her house as her parents left for some work. The suspects, who were doing odd jobs in the same village for couple of months, visited her house and forcefully took her to a nearby forest area, around two kilometres from her house and raped her for two hours.
The duo dumped her in the forest area. The girl returned home and waited for her parents to come back. She then told her mother about the incident and later she took her to Ahwa police station and lodged an FIR against the two suspects.
The police arrested Parmar, one of the suspects named in the FIR, from a bus stand, while the other suspect went missing after the incident.
The medical examinations of the victim were carried out at government hospital in Ahwa on Wednesday afternoon, police said.
- Modi can leverage foreign policy to repair his domestic image
- Muslims biggest losers from our reservation policy, one that Bhagwat rightly wants reviewed
- If Pak state really cared for its people, it would put national economy above all else
- Despite little coverage in India, the Argentinian presidential election is significant
- Uday lacks a strong, accessible monitoring mechanism critical for its success
- What Mr Mani Shankar Aiyar won’t say