2 call centre girls held for assaulting traffic cop
- Five crew members killed in IAF's C-130J Super Hercules plane crash
- IPL season 7 to go on; Sunil Gavaskar to be BCCI chief
- Two terrorists killed in encounter after attacking army camp in J&K
- Sohrabuddin fake encounter: Supreme Court grants bail to Rajkumar Pandian
- Elections 2014 Live: Uma Bharti to fight from Jhansi, Modi's PM dream will never be fulfilled says Lalu
Khadki police on Friday arrested two women employees of a call centre for allegedly abusing and assaulting an on-duty traffic cop who tried to stop their bike after the duo jumped the orange signal at a traffic crossing.
Police identified them as Puja Amit Soniverma (24) and Bhavana Nikhil Dusange (24), both hailing from Agra in Uttar Pradesh. They have been in Pune for the past couple of years and live in a rented flat in Dhanori, police said.
Constable A D Shelar attached to Khadki traffic division, who registered a complaint against the two, was manning the traffic signal at Patil Estate Square at 9.45am when the incident took place.
Inspector (crime) Nishikant Bhujbal of Khadki police station said, "The two were going towards College of Engineering Pune (CoEP). At Patil Estate Square, when the signal turned orange, Shelar signalled vehicles to stop. But Soniverma, who was riding the bike, jumped signal and moved towards CoEP at high speed. However, a little further, the bike skidded and they fell down. The traffic cop reached them asked for the driving licence. It was then that the two started shouting at Shelar for stopping them."
Investigating officer PSI S K Gaikwad said the two went to Shelar and attacked him. "They hit him on the hand and face. Some witnesses came to them and asked the two to stop. But they did not listen. They kept verbally abusing him. People then brought them to Mariaai Gate police chowkie. We registered an offence against them and arrested them. They continued to abuse the police even when they were at the chowkie."
They were booked under section 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace), section 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharging his duty), section 323 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt) of the IPC and relevant sections of the MVA.
- Manmohan, Sonia and Rahul to campaign in Odisha
- Khurshid hits out at UP police over poll code violation case
- BJP will field strong candidates against Rahul, Sonia: Rajnath
- Modi, Hooda snatching land from farmers: Kejriwal
- Major political outfits banking on 'senior' leaders in Punjab
- IM top man Akhtar was planning terror strike in Delhi: Police