2 dead in Texas highway pileup of 100 vehicles
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- Kumar Vishwas files application alleging threat to life from Rahul and Priyanka
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs CSK: CSK remove KXIP openers in a hurry
Two people died and dozens were hurt when at least 100 vehicles collided on a Texas highway in dense fog, leaving trucks twisted on top of each other and authorities rushing to pull survivors from the wreckage.
"It is catastrophic," said Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Deputy Rod Carroll, yesterday. "I've got cars on top of cars."
The Thanksgiving holiday morning crash happened on Interstate 10 about 128 kilometres east of Houston.
At least 51 people had been taken to area hospitals and at least eight were critically hurt, officials at Acadian Ambulance service said.
It wasn't immediately clear how the pileup began, but Carroll said the fog was so thick that officers didn't immediately realise they were dealing with multiple accidents.
I-10's eastbound lanes were expected to remain closed for most of yesterday.
Texas Department of Public Safety trooper Stephanie Davis said two people were killed in an SUV crushed by a
tractor trailer. She said at least 100 cars and trucks were
involved in the accident.
Carroll said uninjured drivers tried to help as authorities sorted through the wreckage.
"It's just people helping people," Carroll said. "The foremost thing in this holiday season is how other travellers were helping us when we were overwhelmed, sitting and holding, putting pressure on people that were injured."
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer