2 killed, 6 injured as truck rams Innova on Mathura Rd
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
Two women were killed and six others of a family were injured after their Toyota Innova was rammed by a truck. The incident was reported from Sher Shah Road crossing on Mathura Road at 2.15 am on Tuesday.
The speeding truck reportedly rammed the vehicle and pushed the SUV for several metres, after which its front portion fell on the car, crushing it completely.
Premawati (58) and her daughter-in-law Saroj Bala (40) died on the spot. The family was returning home from a trip to Golden Temple in Amritsar.
According to police, the SUV took the Mathura Road from the Bhairon Road and was heading towards India Gate when the speeding truck hit it. "The traffic signal was on blinker mode. Both vehicles were speeding, could not judge the distance and crashed into each other. The truck rammed the Innova and dragged it for around 100 metres," a senior police officer said.
He said the impact of the collision was such that the axle of the truck broke and the front portion separated from the trolley, which was filled with stones, and fell on the SUV, crushing it.
The driver of the dumper abandoned the vehicle and fled. He was not injured. Passersby made a PCR call and tried to rescue those trapped in the crushed SUV.
Fire tenders were called to the spot to rescue the victims as passersby could not pull them out. "The victims were pulled out an hour after the Innova was cut open using gas cutters. They were rushed to the hospital, but two of them were declared dead on arrival. The others suffered injuries on their limbs," police said.
Police have registered a case of rash and negligent driving causing death against the truck driver.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress