2 killed, 6 injured in building collapse
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
Injured taken to KEM hospital, later shifted to Jaslok; all of them admitted to emergency unit
Two persons died and six were injured when a portion of Victoria House in Kamala Mills in Lower Parel collapsed. The deceased, Manoj Prabhakar Shukla (47) and Amruta Shulka (28), as well as the injured were employees of JSW Ispat Steel Ltd, which has its office on the first and second floors.
The injured were taken to KEM Hospital and later shifted to Jaslok. Five of them suffered fractures and other injuries. One sustained grievous injury to the head.
"All of them will undergo surgery for fractures and other injuries. They have been admitted to the emergency services unit. One patient, who suffered serious head injuries, will have to undergo neurosurgery," said Dr R Pulgaonkar, medical director of Jaslok Hospital.
People started evacuating the building after a huge crack was noticed on the upper floor of Victoria House on Monday morning. However, a major portion of the building collapsed even as many were still inside.
"We heard a loud noise around 11.30, and thought it was a blast. We stepped out of our office and saw smoke. At that t]point, we thought it was a fire. Only when we stepped out of the building did we realise that the higher floor had collapsed," said an employee of Fast Train, a cargo company on the ground floor of the building.
"Help from the BMC arrived soon and we started helping them in rescue people trapped in the debris. Some were bleeding profusely and we rushed them to the hospital," he said.
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities
- Respecting sovereignty is the essence of bilateral diplomatic engagement
- Islam doesn’t justify targeting innocent lives in the manner in which it was done in Paris
- Imran Khan is a politician with a sense of personal destiny, and a divine mission
- Game upside down
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed