2 killed as BEST bus collides with taxi
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Malaysia military believes it has tracked missing jet over Strait of Malacca
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Two persons, including a nine-year-old girl, were killed in a collision between a BEST bus and a taxi in Vashi early on Tuesday. The bus driver has been arrested.
Vashi police said the accident took place on the Vashi Creek Bridge around 5 am .
Turbhe residents Shailesh Gupta (40) and his wife Manjudevi (38), along with their children Satyam (10), Manisha (9) and Shivam (7) were on their way to Mumbai with two family friends Brimohan Prasad (21) and Vikas Jaiswar (23) in a taxi when it was hit by a BEST bus, police said.
"The Guptas had been to Uttar Pradesh to attend a wedding along with Prasad and Jaiswar. They had hired a taxi to take them back to Turbhe. The bus, which was going from Vashi to Mumbai, rammed the taxi on its left side. It was on the wrong side of the bridge," said Police Inspector Rajesh Deore, Vashi police station.
The impact of the collision caused the taxi to veer out of control and come to a stop several metres away. Passing motorists, as well as several passengers of the bus, rushed forward to help the victims. They helped all the occupants of the taxi out of its mangled remains and reported the accident to the Navi Mumbai police control room. The information was relayed to the Vashi police and a team as well as ambulances were rushed to the spot.
"The taxi driver, Krishna Kumar, and Manisha, were declared dead before admission at Navi Mumbai Municipal Hospital, Vashi. Satyam, whose condition is critical, was later shifted to Sion hospital, while the others are still in Vashi," Deore said.
The bus driver, Vishnu Jadhav (41), has been charged with causing death and injury due to rash and negligent driving under the Indian Penal Code. The police said he did not make any attempt to flee.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express