2 killed in stampede as over 3 cr take holy dip at Maha Kumbh
- Turkey twin blasts: At least 86 killed, 186 injured; PM says attack could be suicide bombings
- I have become a victim of party's internal politics, says sacked AAP minister Asim Ahmed
- Now, Malayalam novelist Sarah Joseph returns her Sahitya Academy award
- Nawaz Sharif invites Hurriyat leader Geelani to Pakistan
- Indrani Mukerjea collapsed due to weakness; no drug overdose or poison, say jail authorities
The ritual of bathing started yesterday afternoon itself when 'Mauni Amavasya' began according to the Hindu almanac and reached its crescendo this morning.
A steady stream of devotees was seen at railway stations and bus stations where people from nearby as well as far-off places took to roads and pathways all of which seemed to be leading towards the Sangam on this day.
A railway station in the neighbouring district of Pratapgarh was vandalised this morning by people angry over non-availability of a special train for a trip to the holy Sangam.
Tight security arrangements were in place with more than 15,000 security personnel drawn from central paramilitary forces like ITBP, CRPF, BSF and RAF besides the Uttar Police and its Provincial Armed Constabulary and Anti Terrorist Squad keeping a close vigil.
Besides, the Army conducted aerial surveys every few minutes.
Prominent personalities who have visited the Kumbh are Union Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal, BJP chief Rajnath Singh ans other politicians including Subodh Kant Sahay and Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, the Hinduja brothers, Anil Ambani with his mother Kokilaben, film producer Ekta Kapoor, actors Shilpa Shetty, Emraan Hashmi, Rajpal Yadav and Ashutosh Rana and stand-up comedian Raju Srivastava.