2 more arrested for attack on hotelier Shetty
- Supreme Court to hear plea today for relook at verdict on gay sex
- J&K Governor calls for talks today, PDP signals phone call from Delhi may bring back BJP alliance
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6.7%; CRR at 4%
- Raigad: 13 Pune college students drown during picnic at Murud beach
- Zika virus outbreak: WHO declares global emergency
The Mumbai Police Crime Branch property cell has arrested two more people, Deepak Upadhyay and Talvinder Singh alias Sonu, in connection with the near-fatal attack on hotelier B R Shetty outside Infiniti Mall in Andheri on October 4.
The cell had earlier arrested Rohit Thangappan alias Satish Kalia, a known aide of gangster Chhota Rajan and an accused of murdering MiD-DAY journalist J Dey in Powai on June 11, 2011, property dealer Nityanand Nayak and Selvan Daniel.
"Upadhyay fired three rounds at Shetty, while Sonu drove the motorbike they used to flee to Uttar Pradesh, where they stayed for a few days in a rented room before moving to Ludhiana. In Ludhiana, they rented another room for 15 days after which they went to Jalandhar," said an officer.
On Sunday, police received a tip-off and sent a team to Jalandhar. Upadhyay and Singh were arrested Monday. The team will reach Mumbai Wednesday night with the accused on transit remand.
- Ten years on, MGNREGA requires constant review. And consistency in political support
- The global economy is in trouble but India is attracting positive comment
- India’s expanding stakes in US demand a more strategic view of their changing politics
- Supreme Court has an opportunity to rectify its ruling on Section 377
- And everyone loves censorship — or so it seemed, at a session at the Jaipur Lit Fest
- The problem in Arunachal is as much about politics as about institutional norms