2 more arrested for attack on hotelier Shetty
- Assam woman who attended Rahul event dies of burn injuries, police say she's not the one who kissed him
- Kaushambi to Kanpur: Arvind Kejriwal kicks off three-day UP yatra
- State Forest Dept guest house is police custody for Sahara chief Subrata Roy
- War in Congress: Old soldiers fight Rahul brigade
- Sorry to kill a great story, thereâs no Hercule Parrot
The Mumbai Police Crime Branch property cell has arrested two more people, Deepak Upadhyay and Talvinder Singh alias Sonu, in connection with the near-fatal attack on hotelier B R Shetty outside Infiniti Mall in Andheri on October 4.
The cell had earlier arrested Rohit Thangappan alias Satish Kalia, a known aide of gangster Chhota Rajan and an accused of murdering MiD-DAY journalist J Dey in Powai on June 11, 2011, property dealer Nityanand Nayak and Selvan Daniel.
"Upadhyay fired three rounds at Shetty, while Sonu drove the motorbike they used to flee to Uttar Pradesh, where they stayed for a few days in a rented room before moving to Ludhiana. In Ludhiana, they rented another room for 15 days after which they went to Jalandhar," said an officer.
On Sunday, police received a tip-off and sent a team to Jalandhar. Upadhyay and Singh were arrested Monday. The team will reach Mumbai Wednesday night with the accused on transit remand.
"Kalia claimed during interrogation that the contracts for Dey and Shetty were given together. However, the hit on Shetty had to be deferred due to intense police activity following the Dey murder," the officer said.