2 MU professors held for molesting colleague, staff
- LIVE Netaji files: PM Modi declassifies 100 files on Subhash Chandra Bose
- Anti-national Rohith to Mother India son Rohith: Why the shift
- NIA arrests 13 Islamic State sympathisers in 'anti-terror' crackdown
- Rohith Vemula suicide: Police ready to move in, students set for face-off
- Live, Ind vs Aus, 5th ODI: Dhawan, Rohit get India off to flying start
Two Mumbai University professors were Friday arrested for allegedly molesting a lecturer, a librarian and a sweeper, all of them women, at the Kalina Campus, police said.
Assistant sports teacher Nilesh Lohar (43) and Physical education department head B N Chougule (56) were arrested almost ten months after the alleged incident.
The complainants, all of them from the physical education department claimed that neither the varsity officials nor the police took the matter seriously.
They approached the higher police officials and moved the sessions court. The matter was taken up by the BKC police which registered an FIR under IPC sections 354 for assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty, 506 (2) for criminal intimidation and 509 for word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman.
Among the other complaints was that the duo touched the female staff "inappropriately" and displayed exhibitionism in front of the female staff.
Police said the university had held a meeting and issued a warning to the duo after the victims approached them.
The sessions court on December 4 rejected the anticipatory bail plea of Chougule and Lohar and directed the BKC police to arrest them.
However,when no action was taken, the complaints approached the Police Commissioner to intervene.