2 Mumbai drug peddlers held in city, search on for local kingpin
- Myanmar says operation on militants was on Indian side of border
- Somnath Bharti's wife accuses him of domestic violence, DCW issues notice
- Debt-stressed Punjab farmer, who met Rahul Gandhi, commits suicide
- Jitender Tomar did not graduate from our varsity: RML Awadh University
- Railways staggers tatkal booking to ease pressure, upto 50 pc refund on cancellation
The anti-narcotics cell of Pune police crime branch arrested two drug peddlers who had allegedly come from Mumbai to supply brown sugar to their Pune aide Ali Lalmohammed Saudagar. Police suspect that Saudagar is a key link in the brown sugar trade in the city.
Acting on a tip-off, a police team led by inspector Sunil Tambe laid a trap to nab Saudagar near Shoppers Stop Mall near Patil Estate slums in Shivajinagar on Thursday. Saudagar saw the police team and managed to escape from the spot. Police, however, arrested Mukhtar Ali Hussain Shaikh (24) and Iqbal Abukalam Shaikh (24), both residents of Mankhurd in Mumbai.
Police have seized 290 grams of brown sugar, a car, cell phones and some cash, all worth Rs 8 lakh from the suspects.
An offence was registered at the Khadki police station. Police said about 15 local drug peddler linked to Saudagar have been arrested in the past six months under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act.