2 workers fall to death at construction site
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- On Ambedkar Day, BJP says UPA favoured Muslims over Dalits
- RSS-led core group maps Modi campaign route
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Varun Gandhi to file nomination; Kejriwal arrives in Varanasi
Two labourers fell to death from the sixth floor of an under-construction hotel in Industrial Area, Phase I, Chandigarh on the intervening night of January 10-11. While one of the labourers died on way to a Zirakpur hospital, the other succumbed to his injuries two hours later. According to the police, the incident took place at midnight when Rawal (20) and Dinesh (23) were disposing of construction waste from the sixth floor of the building. They were throwing the waste in a shaft which was extended from the second floor to the sixth floor of the building.
One of the labourers lost his balance while working and fell into the shaft. In an attempt to save his co-worker the other labourer also fell. Dinesh was declared dead on arrival and Rawal succumbed to his injuries at 2 am.
The bodies of the two deceased have been kept in the morgue of GMCH-32 where their post mortem will be conducted. Both were residents of Jharkhand.
Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM), Tanvi Garg, Assistant Labour Commissioner, Mahinder Kaur and a team from the Central Forensic Sciences Laboratory (CFSL) reached the hotel site and a case was registered.
Meanwhile, a hotel official said they are investigating the matter. "All safety barricades were in position where the labourers were working," he added.
However, District Commissioner (DC) Mohammad Shayin said that safety measures were "inadequate". "No safety net was installed at the construction site where the accident took place," he added.
One labourer dies after falling in ditch
In another case, a 30-year-old labourer, Yashpal, died after he fell into a ditch at a digging site in Sector 42 on Friday evening. He was taken to PGIMER for treatment where he later succumbed to his injuries. Police said he was laying sewage lines in Sector 42 when the incident occurred. "While digging, he slipped and fell into a seven-foot deep ditch," he said.Police booked the contractor.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS: Sonia Gandhi | The Indian Express
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh’s book embarrasses PM; ‘Singh had little political authority’
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Rahul Gandhi insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws: Narendra Modi