20,000 litres of extra neutral alcohol seized
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
2 held; tanker was transporting ENA worth over Rs 8 lakh to Goa from Haryana without permit
The state excise department on Sunday seized a tanker carrying 20,000 litres of extra neutral alcohol (ENA) — alcohol usually from molasses distilled thrice and having negligible impurities —for moving without required permits. The cost of the seized alcohol was pegged over Rs 8 lakh. The Goa-bound truck was coming from Haryana.
The excise team also arrested the tanker driver and cleaner.
A complaint in this case has been registered by sub-inspector D T Shewale, the flying squad of state excise department. Two transport managers and officials of three distilleries are wanted suspects.
The arrested suspects have been identified as Dineshkumar Gurjar (34) of Indore and cleaner Murli Gurjar (19) of Dhar in Madhya Pradesh. The excise team intercepted the tanker near Balewadi stadium on Katraj Dehu Road bypass of Mumbai-Bangalore highway on Sunday.
Investigating officer Subhash Nikam told the court that the driver and the cleaner did not possess any of the required documents. The court in Pune remanded Dineshkumar in judicial custody and Murli in police custody till December 15. Excise sleuths also seized the tanker worth Rs 6 lakh, a mobile phone and Rs 15,000 in cash from the two.