20,000 litres of extra neutral alcohol seized
- LIVE: Rahul Gandhi returns to Delhi from sabbatical
- The two critical by-poll results which were overlooked
- 80 crore youth, 160 crore strong hands. What can we not achieve?
- Corporate war between media house, operator confounding net neutrality debate: TRAI chief Rahul Khullar
- Military institute student to son of ex-judge, Islamic State taps Dhaka gen-next
2 held; tanker was transporting ENA worth over Rs 8 lakh to Goa from Haryana without permit
The state excise department on Sunday seized a tanker carrying 20,000 litres of extra neutral alcohol (ENA) — alcohol usually from molasses distilled thrice and having negligible impurities —for moving without required permits. The cost of the seized alcohol was pegged over Rs 8 lakh. The Goa-bound truck was coming from Haryana.
The excise team also arrested the tanker driver and cleaner.
A complaint in this case has been registered by sub-inspector D T Shewale, the flying squad of state excise department. Two transport managers and officials of three distilleries are wanted suspects.
The arrested suspects have been identified as Dineshkumar Gurjar (34) of Indore and cleaner Murli Gurjar (19) of Dhar in Madhya Pradesh. The excise team intercepted the tanker near Balewadi stadium on Katraj Dehu Road bypass of Mumbai-Bangalore highway on Sunday.
Investigating officer Subhash Nikam told the court that the driver and the cleaner did not possess any of the required documents. The court in Pune remanded Dineshkumar in judicial custody and Murli in police custody till December 15. Excise sleuths also seized the tanker worth Rs 6 lakh, a mobile phone and Rs 15,000 in cash from the two.