2002 Gujarat riots: Nanavati Commission seeks 'some more time' to submit report
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
Gujarat government-appointed Nanavati-Mehta Commission that is probing into the 2002 Godhra Train Carnage and subsequent communal riots in the state has demanded one more extension from the state government to prepare and submit its report.
A senior Home Department official said that the Commission has sought 'some more time' to prepare its report, binding etc.., and submit it to the government.
The official was quick to add that the government was considering the issue and may come out with a notification in this regard soon.
"The government is considering the same and a notification in this regard will be issued accordingly," said the Home Department official.
The Commission was constituted on March 6, 2002 to probe into the Godhra Train Carnage incident reported on February 27, 2002 and the subsequent communal riots in Gujarat. And so far, it has been granted around 18 extensions by the Gujarat Government.
Earlier, on June 29, the Commission was granted an extension till December 31, 2013 to submit its report.
The Commission has already given its first report pertaining to the incident of burning the S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express in which 59 Kar Sevaks were charred to death near Godhra Railway Station on February 27, 2002. The Commission had called the incident as a pre-planned conspiracy involving "some individuals".
In its first report, the Commission also made it clear that "...there is absolutely no evidence to show that either the Chief Minister and/or any other Minister(s) in his Council of Ministers or Police Officers had played any role in the Godhra incident…" However, it also went on to give clean chit to the State Government on what followed.
The Commission was appointed by the Narendra Modi government shortly after the riots in 2002. Initially, the Commission was consisting of Justices (Retired) G T Nanavati and K G Shah. However, following the death of Shah in March 2008, Justice (Retired) Akshay Mehta was appointed as the second member of the Commission.