2002 Gujarat riots: SC asks SIT if documents can be given to Zakia Jafri
- LIVE: ISI supports LeT, JeM and Hizbul, David Headley tells court
- J&K govt formation: Ram Madhav to hold talks with Mehbooba Mufti to break impasse
- Soldier, who survived Siachen avalanche, being flown to Delhi hospital
- DDCA row: Delhi HC dismisses Kirti Azad's plea seeking court-monitored probe
- Net bad assets of govt banks a third of their net worth
The Supreme Court today directed the SIT, which probed 2002 Gujarat riots cases, to apprise it on whether documents relating to the closure report of the case of killing of Congress leader Ehsan Jafri can be supplied to his wife Zakia Jafri.
"We direct the SIT (Special Investigation Team) Chairman to peruse the special leave petition (SLP) filed by the complainant (Zakia Jafri) and apprise us on whether the documents which are part of the closure report in the case can be supplied to the complainant or not," a bench comprising justices D K Jain and Madan B Lokur said.
The SIT headed by former CBI Director R K Raghavan had probed the riots cases including the Ahmedabad Gulburg Housing Society massacre case in which Jafri, a former Congress MP, was killed.
SIT had filed the closure report on March 13, 2012 in the case.
A court in Ahmedabad had on November 27 said that Zakia had lost the right to file a protest petition against the closure report citing the delays in doing so by the victim.