22 people dead and dozens injured at Allahabad railway station
- Parliament LIVE: Snooping on Rahul not right, says Congress; 'Asking for facts is not snooping'
- Waste paper to phone use: Govt revives checklist against leaks
- 14 booked for church vandalism in Haryana, cross replaced with Hanuman idol
- Pakistan: Protesters hit the streets after blasts near Lahore churches leave 15 dead
- No arrests in Bengal nun ‘rape’, church attack, local Christians nervous
At least 22 people were feared dead and dozens more were injured Sunday after a stampede broke out at Allahabad railway station. Over four crore devotees had gathered for Mauni Amavasya.
The stampede broke out after a footbridge at the station collapsed late today and said at least 10 people were feared dead. CNN-IBN news channel said at least 20 were feared dead.
There was no immediate confirmation from any local officials.
An estimated 30 million devotees were expected to take a dip at the Sangam, the confluence of three rivers _ the Ganges, the Yamuna and the mythical Saraswati, on Sunday, one of the holiest bathing days of the Kumbh Mela, or Pitcher Festival. The festival lasts 55 days and is one of the world's largest religious gatherings.