22 people dead and dozens injured at Allahabad railway station
- Loan waiver, MNREGA, food security, Niyamgiri: Yes, Rahul Gandhi is back
- Presstitutes remark row: Modi says media ignoring V K Singh's good work in Yemen
- All decisions I take are for welfare of poor: Narendra Modi
- Death by Breath: On Delhi’s edge, a township of 25,000 more toxic than Delhi
- 51 arrested for setting Puri-Barbil Express train coach on fire
At least 22 people were feared dead and dozens more were injured Sunday after a stampede broke out at Allahabad railway station. Over four crore devotees had gathered for Mauni Amavasya.
The stampede broke out after a footbridge at the station collapsed late today and said at least 10 people were feared dead. CNN-IBN news channel said at least 20 were feared dead.
There was no immediate confirmation from any local officials.
An estimated 30 million devotees were expected to take a dip at the Sangam, the confluence of three rivers _ the Ganges, the Yamuna and the mythical Saraswati, on Sunday, one of the holiest bathing days of the Kumbh Mela, or Pitcher Festival. The festival lasts 55 days and is one of the world's largest religious gatherings.