23-yr-old shot dead in Raiganj
- LIVE: ISI supports LeT, JeM and Hizbul, David Headley tells court
- J&K govt formation: Ram Madhav to hold talks with Mehbooba Mufti to break impasse
- Soldier, who survived Siachen avalanche, being flown to Delhi hospital
- DDCA row: Delhi HC dismisses Kirti Azad's plea seeking court-monitored probe
- Net bad assets of govt banks a third of their net worth
A 23-year-old man was shot dead in broad daylight on Saturday in a market area in Raiganj, North Dinajpur. Raiganj, a notorious area with increasing criminal activities.
The area has witnessed 31 murders in the last five months at the same locality.
Palash Burman was shot dead by two bike-borne miscreants in the market area at around 2.15 pm. The incident too place in front of hundreds of locals and students of a nearby school of the Kashibati are. However, no one has come forward as witness, said a police officer.
According to police sources, Palash was a murder accused who was released on bail a week ago. The miscreants pumped at least six bullets into the victim. "It appears to be a gang war between two groups of criminals. We have started investigating into the incident."
In the last 20 days, seven people were shot dead in the locality while four victims were shot at the market area.
On January 11, two TMC leaders, Mukunda Das (35) and Khirodh Das (50), were killed by criminals in broad daylight near Shayampur village under Raiganj area. Mukunda Das was the president of the farmers' cell of the ruling party's Raiganj block committee while Khirodh Das was the vice-president of the party's Raiganj police station committee.
- Government must resolve growing burden of non-performing assets
- Outrage over police assault on students is meaningless
- Right to a toilet: For the health, dignity and safety of women in slums
- Raja-Mandala: Maritime India versus Continental Delhi
- The Akhilesh-Mulayam duet
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress