23-yr-old shot dead in Raiganj
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
A 23-year-old man was shot dead in broad daylight on Saturday in a market area in Raiganj, North Dinajpur. Raiganj, a notorious area with increasing criminal activities.
The area has witnessed 31 murders in the last five months at the same locality.
Palash Burman was shot dead by two bike-borne miscreants in the market area at around 2.15 pm. The incident too place in front of hundreds of locals and students of a nearby school of the Kashibati are. However, no one has come forward as witness, said a police officer.
According to police sources, Palash was a murder accused who was released on bail a week ago. The miscreants pumped at least six bullets into the victim. "It appears to be a gang war between two groups of criminals. We have started investigating into the incident."
In the last 20 days, seven people were shot dead in the locality while four victims were shot at the market area.
On January 11, two TMC leaders, Mukunda Das (35) and Khirodh Das (50), were killed by criminals in broad daylight near Shayampur village under Raiganj area. Mukunda Das was the president of the farmers' cell of the ruling party's Raiganj block committee while Khirodh Das was the vice-president of the party's Raiganj police station committee.
The criminals are reported to have first shot at them and then hacked them to death. Police recovered a 9 mm pistol from the spot. The brutal murders of the two local leaders seemed to have added to the fear among the common people who have been going through a prolonged spell of lawlessness in the locality.
- â€˜Someone should remind the CM weâ€™re also aam aadmi. But theyâ€™ve turned us intoÂ demonsâ€™
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- How they killed our factories | The Indian Express