24 labourers injured in wall collapse in Vasai
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
Twenty-four labourers, including women and minors, were injured Tuesday after a wall collapsed at a construction site they were working in Waliv's Bhavkalpada region in Vasai district.
The labourers were working at Rashid Compound Industrial Estate off the Mumbai-Ahmedabad National Highway No. 8 when the 20-feet brick wall inside an under-construction structure collapsed.
Fifteen of the injured are being treated at a hospital in Vasai while eight others were discharged after first aid, police said. A preliminary police probe has found that two business partners were constructing an illegal godown in the premises, where the wall collapsed.
Police Inspector Rajendra Mohite of Waliv police station said the Vasai-Virar Municipal Corporation had already issued a stop-work notice to the partners. "We have charged Abdul Rashid Shaikh, Abdulah Kabulal Shaikh and their manager Kishor Chavan under State Child Labour Act," Mohite said. Police have detained Chavan while the two business partners are absconding.