25 missing in U’khand floods declared dead
- Mamata Banerjee govt saving those involved in Saradha scam: Rahul Gandhi
- Senior Pakistan journalist Hamid Mir shot at in Karachi
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- Gadkari says there's casteism in Bihar DNA then retracts by saying he meant 'political' DNA
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs KKR: Another poor start by KKR, lose openers early against DD
The 25 individuals from Pune, who went missing in the floods in Uttarakhand around six months ago, have been declared officially dead by Uttarakhand government. This includes 16 women who were on a pilgrimage for which the transportation was provided by Shivgauri Travels.
District disaster management officer Vitthal Banote said his office has received correspondence from the Uttarakhand government through Mantralaya confirming death of Pune residents .
Meanwhile, several affected families said they had already reconciled to the fact that their missing relatives would never come back and the latest communication from Uttrakhand government has brought to an end the faint hopes they had.
"The Uttarakhand government has sent a list of deceased persons, whose death certificates would be issued soon. The list has names of about 80 individuals from Maharashtra, including 25 from Pune," Banote said.
He said the names of some of the deceased from Pune have minor errors and therefore the concerned families have not been contacted yet.
"We will have to write back to Uttarakhand authorities about correction in names. We thought it would be apt to convey the sad news to affected families once the corrected list reaches our hands to avoid any technical issues," he said. Uttarakhand chief minister had earlier said that more than 4,700-odd missing would be presumed dead if they are not found by July 15.
According to information compiled by authorities, the pilgrims' group of Shivgauri Travels got divided into two groups after the natural disaster. While one group was rescued, the other group of 25 went missing. The group were last spotted at Rambada sector of Uttarakhand, which was destroyed during flashfloods.
"I had accepted that my relatives would never come back as they have been missing for the almost six months. There was a little hope of any divine intervention. But the latest correspondence from Uttrakhand government has brought that to an end," said Trishla Kamathe, whose mother, aunty and two other close relatives, have been declared dead.