2,596 acres nazool land sold illegally: Punjab to HC
- LIVE: Telangana bill tabled in Rajya Sabha amid uproar, marshals called in
- Supreme Court stays release of Rajiv Gandhi killers after Centre opposes Jayalalithaa's decision
- Rahul Gandhi's remark on Rajiv killers a drama to divert attention: Kumar Vishwas
- Soni Sori, ex-Infosys CFO V Bala join AAP
- Rajiv Gandhi assassination case forces adjournment of Parliament
The Punjab government on Friday told the Punjab and Haryana High Court that 2,596 acres, 2 kanals and 18 marlas 'nazool' land in Kapurthala, Patiala, Fatehgarh Sahib and Mohali districts have been sold illegally.
Special Secretary (Revenue, Rehabilitation and Disaster Management), Punjab, S S Khara said this before a Division Bench comprising Chief Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri and Justice Rakesh Kumar Jain.
As per Nazool Lands (Transfer) Rules-1956, nazool land is an area located beyond two miles of the municipal limits, which has been handed over to the state government and not appropriated by it for any purpose.
According to the government, tehsildars of Kapurthala, Phagwara, Bhulath, Rajpura, Fatehgarh Sahib and Mohali had reported illegal sale of nazool lands. Khara's affidavit highlighted that while in Kapurthala, 2,433 acres two kanals and 18 marlas was sold illegally, in Patiala the figure was 115 acres and seven kanals, in Fatehgarh Sahib 39 acres and five kanals and in Mohali six acres and 12 kanals. It added that to retrieve such land in favour of the government, instructions had been issued to all deputy commissioners-cum- collectors.
The court was hearing a petition by Soma Singh, a resident of Harpalpur village in Patiala district, seeking directions to the Punjab government, its financial commissioner and others to constitute a special investigating team (SIT) to hold a fair and impartial probe into the grabbing of nazool land.
- LS polls: Cong playing wait-and-watch game in dozen-plus seats in state
- ‘Rs 2.3 cr spent on bungalow for former Prez, but that’s no loss to exchequer’
- 9 illegal immigrants working on Army premises nabbed
- BJP’s Saurashtra unit split wide open over former minister’s snub
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers
- The regressive state