2nd edition of Sahibzada Ajit Singh Trophy from Oct 21
- Hardik Patel walks out of Lajpore jail after nine months
- Op Sankat Mochan: First flight carrying evacuated Indians from South Sudan reaches Kerala
- Behind Nice attack, a Caliphate in retreat
- Infosys Q1 net profit up 13 percent, but misses estimates; shares slide
- Arunachal CM Tuki wants 'reasonable' time, says Gov decision for floor test by Saturday 'hasty'
The second edition of All India Sahibzada Ajit Singh Hockey Champion Trophy will be organised by the Sports Council of Ludhiana at Pirthipal Singh Hockey Stadium at Punjab Agricultural University from October 21-27. For the first time, the matches will be played under flood lights during the seven-day tournament, and the prize money will be Rs 8.5 lakh.
Giving this information, Olympian Ramandeep Singh Grewal, vice-chairman of Sports Council of Ludhiana, on Sunday said the final match would be telecast live on DD SPORTS.
In the men's category, eight teams will take part. They are Indian Oil Mumbai, BPCL Mumbai, ONGC Mumbai, Air India Mumbai, Indian Army, Punjab National Bank, Punjab and Sind Bank, and Namdhari XI. In the women's category, four teams will participate. They are Central Railway, Gwalior Academy, Chandigarh XI and Rail Coach Factory.
The matches will be played on a league-cum-knockout basis.
The winner in men's section will get a prize of Rs 3.5 lakh while the runners-up will bag Rs 2 lakh. Similarly, in women's section, the winner will get Rs 1.25 lakh, followed by Rs 75,000 for the runners-up team. The winning women's team will also get Prof Nirpjit Kaur Gill Memorial Trophy.