2-yr-old girl killed as SUV crushes her in Northeast Delhi
- Real estate bill: BJP hits back at Rahul Gandhi, asks if he visited hail-affected farmers in Amethi
- Mumbai: Assistant sub-inspector shoots senior, self in Vakola police station
- Moga bus molestation: Deputy CM Sukhbir Singh orders Orbit buses off the road amid protests
- Three killed, 16 injured in accident at Harduaganj thermal station
- Amarnath Yatra: Nirmal Singh hits back at Geelani, says separatists have become 'irrelevant'
A two-year-old girl was killed on Sunday morning near her house in Northeast Delhi, after a speeding Mahindra XUV 500 hit her.
Police are yet to identify the accused driver, but a case of causing death by rash and negligent driving was registered at the MS Park police station.
The incident was reported from B-block of MS Park in Northeast Delhi around 11.30 am. Komal was playing outside her house with her friends when the SUV hit her.
"The impact of the accident was so powerful that Komal fell on the road and sustained severe injuries. Residents surrounded the SUV and overpowered the driver, who told them that he would take the girl to hospital and later surrender before the police," a senior police officer said.
The girl's mother, Reshma Kaur, and some neighbours took the girl to a nearby nursing home with the accused.
While they were busy admitting the victim in the Intensive Care Unit, the driver managed to escape in his vehicle.
The girl succumbed to injuries during treatment. Her body has been preserved in GTB Hospital and a post-mortem examination will be conducted on Monday.
Police are looking for the accused driver and have started tracking the SUV.
An eyewitness had noted down the registration number of the vehicle, which will help police nab the accused.
Police said they were also examining CCTV footage from a camera installed in the lane, which reportedly captured the accident.
Komal's father Panna Lal works in a light manufacturing factory near their house.