2-yr-old girl killed as SUV crushes her in Northeast Delhi
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
A two-year-old girl was killed on Sunday morning near her house in Northeast Delhi, after a speeding Mahindra XUV 500 hit her.
Police are yet to identify the accused driver, but a case of causing death by rash and negligent driving was registered at the MS Park police station.
The incident was reported from B-block of MS Park in Northeast Delhi around 11.30 am. Komal was playing outside her house with her friends when the SUV hit her.
"The impact of the accident was so powerful that Komal fell on the road and sustained severe injuries. Residents surrounded the SUV and overpowered the driver, who told them that he would take the girl to hospital and later surrender before the police," a senior police officer said.
The girl's mother, Reshma Kaur, and some neighbours took the girl to a nearby nursing home with the accused.
While they were busy admitting the victim in the Intensive Care Unit, the driver managed to escape in his vehicle.
The girl succumbed to injuries during treatment. Her body has been preserved in GTB Hospital and a post-mortem examination will be conducted on Monday.
Police are looking for the accused driver and have started tracking the SUV.
An eyewitness had noted down the registration number of the vehicle, which will help police nab the accused.
Police said they were also examining CCTV footage from a camera installed in the lane, which reportedly captured the accident.
Komal's father Panna Lal works in a light manufacturing factory near their house.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS: Sonia Gandhi | The Indian Express
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh’s book embarrasses PM; ‘Singh had little political authority’
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Rahul Gandhi insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws: Narendra Modi