3 killed in Metiaburz fire, 1 hurt
- Positions hardening, Congress readies to walk alone in both Andhra and Bihar
- After Fali, former SC judge K T Thomas questions Lokpal selection
- Flanked by Paswans, Modi sells âN(Development)Aâ
- Supreme Court directs Centre, states to stop discrimination against HIV+ kids
- Judge among 11 dead in Pakistan court in alleged suicide attack
An early morning fire on Wednesday killed three persons and injured one. The incident took place at 2.10 am at 479/1 Haji Ratan Lane in Metiaburz area. Locals saw smoke coming out of the second floor apartment on the four-storeyed building.
Four fire tenders were pressed in and fire was brought under control at around 6 am. Four persons with severe injury were removed to SSKM hospital, of which, three — Md Murid (56), Md Rahul (22) and Sk Saiful Islam (23) — succumbed to their injuries and one is still at the hospital. The building is a residential one but this apartment was used commercially for garments trading. Of the three dead, Murid and his son Rahul were from Bihar and used to work at the place while Saiful was a local. The extent of damage was not known and prima facie officials of the fire department said the fire may have been caused due to a short circuit.
Durga Pada Tarania, DG (Fire) said an inquiry had been asked to start against the landlord of the building. "No safety rules were being followed and the residential space was being used for commercial purpose. We have asked the police to start a case against the errant landlord," he said.