3 rapes in Punjab; sexual assault victim dies in hospital
- Victory for protesters as HC slams Delhi Police over anti-gangrape crackdown, hints fundamental rights violation
- Delhi gangrape: Bus owner arrested for registering vehicles on false papers
- Now, former President of India Pratibha Patil under rape cloud for going soft on 7 rapists-cum-killers, even of children
- Putin gets Russia Senate nod to use military in Ukraine
- Assam woman who attended Rahul event dies of burn injuries, police say she's not the one who kissed him
- Aam Aadmi Party releases third list of candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Varanasi: Rahul woos rickshawpullers, promises better livelihood
- State Forest Dept guest house is police custody for Sahara chief Subrata Roy
Amid nationwide furor over the gang-rape and murder of a paramedic student in Delhi, five fresh cases of crime against women were reported today in neighbouring Punjab, prompting the state police to constitute specialised investigation teams.
A six-year-old girl from Singhpura Munnan village in Moga district was raped, Senior SP (Moga) S S Grewal said.
The accused Soni Singh took the victim to his place about 20 days back and raped her, Grewal said, adding that Singh had confessed to the crime about which police came to know only on Monday.
The accused has been arrested, the SSP said. Medical examination of the girl confirmed rape.
In a separate case, an eight-year-old girl of a migrant labourer was allegedly raped and killed by a 25-year-old youth at Simbli village in Hoshiarpur district.
Mehtiana police booked a youth, Sanjay Kumar, of district Purnia (Bihar). The accused is at large.
Both, Kumar and the victim's family, were living at a farmhouse in Simbli village.
Today, the girl's body was found in nearby fields.
In the third incident, a 14-year-old girl was allegedly gang-raped by three persons at Talwandi Kalan village on the outskirts of Ludhiana city.
Police Commissioner Ishwar Singh said that all the accused, aged between 28 to 30 have been arrested.
In reply to a question, the Commissioner said that investigations and medical check up of the victim have been carried under the supervision of a lady IPS officer Jagdambey Nilambri.
In another crime against women, three villagers were today booked on the charge of teasing and beating up a woman of the same village.
The accused Ladoo, Sonu and Kaka, all residents of Bassi Mustafa village were booked.
The girl alleged in her complaint that while she along with her sister was returning home from work, the accused first teased her and then later thrashed her up.