3 students held for Bihar rape-murder
- BJP unhappy over Gadkari-Raj meeting, says it's a closed chapter
- You told us go to hell, says Supreme Court, sends Subrata Roy to jail
- Special circumstances forced govt to take ordinance route: Salman Khurshid
- Nitin Gadkari-Raj Thackeray closeness could 'affect' alliance, hints Shiv Sena
- TRS wonât merge, Congress readies to walk alone in both Andhra and Bihar
When she left her Mahavar village under Dawoodnagar for district town Aurangabad to study engineering at a private college last year, her teacher father felt proud. His 21-year-old daughter was leaving a small village to live alone and pursue her dream of becoming an engineer.
Barely few months later, on July 15 last year, her father got a call from the police. He was told that his daughter was found dead at her rented accomodation. Her body was lying on the bed. A chair was also on the bed, suggesting she committed suicide by hanging herself from the ceiling fan.
Although no suicide note was found, the Aurangabad Town police station concluded it was a "clear case of suicide". The distraught father kept insisting it was murder but the matter was closed just as "UD (unnatural death) case".
A month later, when Daljit Singh joined as new Superintendent of Police of Aurangabad, the father pursued the case with him. Singh saw merit in his arguments and visited the spot. The police team found a piece of rope tied to the bolt of the back gate and also a torn piece of cloth on one of the iron bars of the balcony fence.
"We started working on these clues and suspected that the rope was used to bolt the rear gate as well to confuse the police," SP Singh said.
The SP, who pulled up the case investigation officer for shoddy investigation, first arrested the girl's collegemate Hemant Kumar after neighbours confirmed that he used to visit the girl.
Hemant spilled the beans, saying he and two more students of the same college had raped and killed the girl, the police said. He identified the two others as Ravi Kumar and Vinay Kumar, a Dharamshala resident. Ravi and Vinay were arrested on Thursday.
- Bulls run on Dalal Street as Putin tones down on Ukraine
- Punjab cagers dump title holders, meet TN in finals
- Laser hair removal goes wrong, man’s arm gets burnt
- A peek into the FB posts of V-P who stabbed wife to death
- CBI set to reopen bribery case against Sudhir Choudhrie
- Court pulls up govt, police for ‘lax’ attitude in marital sodomy case