32-year-old arrested for ‘raping cousin’, sent to police custody
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
The Pune police have arrested a 32-year-old man for allegedly abducting his 17-year-old "cousin" and raping her "on the pretext of marrying her". A Pune court has remanded the accused in police custody till January 5.
According to the police, the victim studied in a Pune college and her parents are doctors who run a hospital somewhere in the district. The mother and elder brother of the accused have been booked for abetting the crime.
Assistant police inspector P Mandale, who is investigating the case, said: "The complaint says the family of the accused wanted him to marry the victim. He often went to her college, instigated her against her parents..."
The police said the accused took the girl to his mother's flat in Katraj and raped her. Mandale said: "The girl had gone back to her home after that. In mid-August, when she returned to Pune city, the accused kidnapped her and confined her to a flat in Warje. The complainant has said she was then taken to Karnataka and was raped again."
While a case was registered on September 17, the accused was arrested on December 26 and was subsequently taken to Karnataka for further investigations.