33-year-old man arrested for fraud
- Nepal Earthquake: Rains, fresh tremors hamper rescue works, toll tops 2,500
- Nepal earthquake: 22 climbers dead in avalanche on Mt Everest
- Nepal Earthquake: Air services resumed to Kathmandu
- NDRF rescue team begins sifting through rubble in Nepal
- Heavy rains likely in quake-hit Nepal, warns Indian Meteorological Dept
A 33-year-old man was arrested for cheating people on the pretext of helping them deposit money in their accounts.
The accused has been identified as Deepak, a resdient of Haryana. With his arrest, the police claimed to have solved six such cases.
According to police, there were several complaints about fraudsters using this modus operandi. Police recently received a similar complaint from an Andhra Pradesh resident.
"We started looking for the accused after receiving the complaint. While patrolling the Desh Bandhu Gupta Road, police personnel spotted a man being chased by locals. Our team arrested him," Additional Commissioner of Police (Central) Devesh Srivastava said.
During questioning, Deepak told police that he targeted senior citizens or those who did not know how to deposit money to their accounts.
He commited his first crime some years ago, when he visited the bank to deposit money belonging to someone known to him.
"At the bank, a senior citizen asked him for help to deposit Rs 19,000 as there was a long queue. Deepak took the money from him and fled without depositing it," Srivastava said.
The reporter is a student of Express Institute of Media Studies