33-year-old man arrested for fraud
- Third phase of LS polls ends: High turnout in 91 seats; Chandigarh tops with 74 per cent
- BJP sacks Jaswant Singh's son Manvendra; Ansari not to contest against Modi
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- First time, Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, calls her change ânakliâ
- Mulayam questions death penalty for rape, says 'boys make mistakes'
A 33-year-old man was arrested for cheating people on the pretext of helping them deposit money in their accounts.
The accused has been identified as Deepak, a resdient of Haryana. With his arrest, the police claimed to have solved six such cases.
According to police, there were several complaints about fraudsters using this modus operandi. Police recently received a similar complaint from an Andhra Pradesh resident.
"We started looking for the accused after receiving the complaint. While patrolling the Desh Bandhu Gupta Road, police personnel spotted a man being chased by locals. Our team arrested him," Additional Commissioner of Police (Central) Devesh Srivastava said.
During questioning, Deepak told police that he targeted senior citizens or those who did not know how to deposit money to their accounts.
He commited his first crime some years ago, when he visited the bank to deposit money belonging to someone known to him.
"At the bank, a senior citizen asked him for help to deposit Rs 19,000 as there was a long queue. Deepak took the money from him and fled without depositing it," Srivastava said.
The reporter is a student of Express Institute of Media Studies