37 kids killed in raid, Israel sorry but says got to disarm Hezbollah
- Muslim women beaten up in Madhya Pradesh over beef rumours
- Harish Rawat confirms Chinese incursion in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district
- GST Bill: Uncertainty continues as States don’t agree on rate
- Cow was killed by lion, not Dalit men flogged by gau rakshaks: CID
- How Governor Raghuram Rajan had his way on venue for RBI interviews
Conceding that Israel can be partly held responsible for what happened, Israel's Foreign Affairs spokesperson Marke Regev told The Indian Express that Hezbollah too must share responsibility for this. "The UN Coordinator in Lebanon Jan Egeland has himself said that they (Hezbollah) cowardly hide behind women and children using them as human shields."
Describing the attacks at Qana as "terrible", he offered regrets saying Israel does not want to hurt innocent people. Earlier in the day, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert too expressed his "sorrow" but made the point that Qana was the place from where rockets were being launched on Israeli cities in the north.
Dan Gillerman, Israel's Ambassador to the UN, said his country had "beseeched" residents to leave prior to Sunday's attack. "I am beseeching you not to play into their (Hezbollah's) hands, not to provide them with what they are seeking while sacrificing their own people as human shields and as victims."
"Every dead Lebanese child is a horrible mistake and a tragedy. For them (Hezbollah), every dead Israeli child is a victory and a cause for celebration," he said.
Tel Aviv's assessment is that over 12,000 rockets, provided by Iran and Syria, are with the Hezbollah in Lebanon. "This campaign will go until objectives of UNSC Resolution 1559 that require disarming of Hezbollah are achieved," says Regev.
The sense here is that a ceasefire which would give Hezbollah breathing space and chance to regroup would only be detrimental in the long run. And in fulfilling this objective, Israel is counting on the US which is still to endorse a call for immediate ceasefire.
US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who was in Israel for the past couple of days, held detailed meetings with the top leadership here trying to knit an arrangement around a multi-national force and getting the Lebanese Army to station troops along the Israel-Lebanon border.
The Qana attack may, however, have shrunk the diplomatic space to seal such a solution with Lebanon cancelling Rice's visit to Beirut. Still, there have been no calls for an immediate ceasefire from Washington though an Emergency Session of the UNSC was underway to discuss the issue.
Israel, on the other hand, is planning to move in armoured columns and infantry into new villages in southern Lebanon which is corroborated by reports that the Israeli Defence Forces have issued fresh warnings asking villagers to vacate.
There is a feeling here that Israel may not have achieved the kind of tactical goals it set for itself in the campaign by way of demolishing Hizbollah militiamen, but it has managed to convey a strong message of deterrence.
- Nativist sentiments and a growing tendency towards looking inwards imperil globalisation
- Poor infrastructure not outdated syllabi — is what ails Indian universities
- India will have to get its act together on urban water
- Qandeel Baloch’s murder: Men craft, interpret and adjudicate over family laws in the subcontinent
- BJP was not dependent on Dalits to win Gujarat. But the apathy may cost in other states
- Jayalalithaa and Mamata defend Mayawati, recast politics on gender lines