3-year-old among 2 killed in road accidents
- Dawood's hanging would have satisfied us more: Family of 93 blasts victim
- Terrorists who attacked Gurdaspur came from Pakistan: Rajnath Singh
- Nation bids tearful adieu to former president APJ Abdul Kalam
- Why this unseemly hurry in Yakub execution: Prashant Bhushan
- Taliban confirms leader Mullah Omar's death, new successor already in place
Two persons were killed in road accidents in Kurla and Chembur Wednesday. Three-year-old Zoya Shaikh was run over by a Maruti Swift around 5 pm while she was playing outside her Kurla (West) residence near Noor Hospital, police said.
Car driver Mohammad Shaikh (27) took her to Habib Hospital where she was declared dead around 6 pm.
The driver did not attempt to flee and was arrested and remanded in police custody. "She was playing near the footpath at a corner of the road. Khan said he did not see the girl. She was crushed under the left front wheel," said police naik N S Patil.
In another accident, Laxmi Shinde, 35, was knocked down by a speeding water tanker while she was trying to cross R C Road at Vashi Naka, Chembur. Truck driver Shashi Kapoor tried to flee, but was nabbed by passersby. He was arrested and remanded in judicial custody, police said. "We have charged Kapoor with rash driving," said senior inspector Dilip Yadav of RCF police station.