4 children die within minutes of vaccination
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Within minutes of taking vaccination for measles and BCG, four children of three different villages in Mohanlalganj area of Lucknow died on Saturday morning. While three of the victims were given the measles vaccine, the fourth took BCG.
Five medical and paramedical staff of Community Health Centre, Mohanlalganj, have been suspended. The government has ordered a probe and Rs 50,000 each to guardians of the victims.
The immunisation programme was being conducted as part of the government's Jachha Bachha Suraksha Abhiyan launched on August 15. Minutes after vaccination, the children started gasping for breath.
While a one-year-old girl and a two-year-old boy of Bindaua village died within an hour at the health centre, a six-month-old girl of Rampur Garhi village and a one-year-old girl of Padminkheda village were both brought dead.
Angry villagers locked up senior medical officers in the panchayat office, and released them after three hours only after much persuasion.
In the blame game that began, some officials said "contaminated Vitamin A dosage" could have caused the deaths. Director General, Family Welfare, Dr S P Ram denied the vaccines were contaminated or expired, but admitted that there could have been contamination.
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- Telescope: From Fawad Khan to Kalki Koechlin, journeys to keep an eye on
- Shouldn’t weekly off day be a matter of choice, instead of being dictated by law?
- India’s search for alternatives to regional forum must quicken
- Struggle against caste system & capitalism are inextricably linked
- Power struggle within weakens Samajwadi Party already undergoing an identity crisis in UP