4 Indian-origin persons among worst tax cheats in UK
- Kolkata: Under-construction bridge collapses, several feared dead
- Ban verbal, unilateral and triple talaq: Central government panel
- Dantewada attack: Info on troop movement was leaked, says CRPF
- PM Modi arrives in US for Nuclear Security Summit
- Hold all polls together, save time, money: PM Modi floats idea
Eleven people of Asian-origin, including four of Indian descent, are among 32 persons figuring in the rogues' gallery of Britain's top tax criminals of 2012.
Among the 11 people of Asian-origin, four of Indian descent are Davinder Singh Dhaliwal, Sandeep Singh Dosanjh, Navdeep Singh Gill and Ranjot Singh Chahal, according to a media report.
The tax office posted pictures of 32 tax cheats -- A rogues' gallery of Britain's top tax criminals of 2012, ranging from cigarette and alcohol smugglers to professionals who set up complex avoidance schemes for the rich, the report said.
This is the first time such a list has been published online by HM Revenue and Customs.
The 32 tax cheats were last year sentenced to a total of 155 years and 10 months behind bars.
They include four men jailed for a total of 21 years and three months for one of the biggest alcohol smuggling frauds uncovered in the UK, worth £50 million a year.
Among the four is Davinder Singh Dhaliwal.
In another case, a gang of three - Sandeep Singh Dosanjh, Navdeep Singh Gill and Ranjot Singh Chahal, set up a chain of bogus companies to trade fraudulently in EU emissions allowances - known as carbon credits and cheated the HMRC to the tune of 38 million pounds in VAT.
Dosanjh received 15 years imprisonment, Gill 11 years and Chahal 9 years.
Six people of Pakistani-origin figuring in the rogues' gallery are Mohammed Shabir Karim, Imran Bhatti and Kamran Bhatt.
- Nawaz Sharif helping army to rule without governing Pakistan
- There's little difference between BJP, Congress on use of Article 356
- Is agriculture a business?
- The most effective ally of terrorism is complacency
- Uttarakhand shows how BJP promises of cooperative federalism
- There was ghar wapsi and beef. Nationalism has been added to the list