4 steps to decode a critical illness plan
- March 26 campaign roundup: Modi takes it out on Kejriwal, calls him 'Pak agent', then 'Cong agent'
- Missing Malaysian jetliner: Satellite spots more than '100 objects' that could be plane debris
- SC holds Akhilesh govt guilty of negligence, orders arrest of all Muzaffarnagar accused
- Battleground Varanasi: Everything you want to know
- SC lashes out at UPA govt for its 'inaction' in bringing back black money
By Neeraj Basur
Critical illness is largely a misunderstood term in India. And this, ironically, in a country where the onus of planning and paying for critical illness is on the individual and not the employer or the government!
It is therefore very important for us to understand the concept of critical illness plans so that our spending on insurance is optimal. Here are simple 4 steps to de-codify and device your critical illness plan.
Step 1: Starting by understanding: what is critical illness?
There is no one clear definition of critical illness. However, as the name suggests, this covers more serious forms of illnesses such as paralysis, cancer, stroke, coronary artery disease, multiple sclerosis, heart valve disease and renal failure. Essentially, the kind of illnesses, where mortality is not only high but there is also a pronounced strain on the lifestyle of the patient's household, both mentally as well as financially.
Step 2: How does a critical illness plan help?
There is no dearth of examples of how critical illnesses such as the ones mentioned above afflict the patient as well as their households. These illnesses are marked by large treatment bills, numerous diagnostic tests and large period of absence from active life. What one do not want to deal with at this time is the pain of arguing and going through what is covered or not covered by insurance and when one gets the amounts refunded or taken care off. The critical illness plan helps take away this undesired complexity.
The plan works on diagnosis of the disease rather than other metrics such as hospital stay or reimbursement of bills. All that the insurance provider needs to know is evidence of a positive diagnosis to disburse the sum ensured. Hassle free? Certainly. And that is precisely the point: let the afflicted patient deal with one less problem by taking care of the finances!
- Delhi confidential: Seat selection
- Rajnath’s 3-day Lucknow tour begins today
- MP with most criminal cases ages slowly in Jharkhand
- Guru who filed case against Ramdev gets Congress ticket
- Now, Ram Vilas Vedanti threatens to rebel ‘if Rajnath refuses ticket’
- Mamata hits back: ‘Those who don’t know poverty are talking big’