4 UPA ministers land in Surat today
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- Subrata Roy to remain in Tihar, Supreme Court calls Sahara's proposal "dishonourable"
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi's next round of Chai pe charcha doesn't have police permission yet
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
A host of union ministers will be in the city on Sunday to attend a seminar, 21st Century Socio-economic Challenges, to be held at Indoor Stadium here.
Among those who will be coming are Minister for External Affairs Salman Khurshid, Union Coal Minister Sri Prakash Jaiswal, Minority Affairs Minister K Rahman Khan and Union HRD Minister Dr M Pallam Raju.
Planning Commission member Dr Syeda Hameed and National Minority Commission's chairman Wajahat Habeebullah will also be present.
Maulana Fazlur Rahim Mujaddidi, a member of steering committee of the Planning Commission who was in the city to oversee the preparations, said, "The objective of the seminar is to create awareness among Muslims, SCs and STs so that they take advantage of several schemes of Government of India for their uplift and overall development."
Citing the Planning Commission's report of 2011, the Maulana, who has organised the programme, claimed Gujarat stood 12th among states in India in human development index for Muslims.
An educationist, Maulana runs madrasas, English-medium schools and coaching centres for UPSC exams and has a good following in Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and other states.