4 varsity staff, 4 students get bail
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Judicial Magistrate (First Class) Y P Marulkar on Saturday granted bail to seven suspects who were arrested for their alleged involvement in the re-evaluation scam in the University of Pune (UoP). The four university staff and three students were in police custody till January 14.
The suspects are identified as assistant registrar Rajendra Pandit, re-evaluation section head Lalsingh Wasave, re-evaluation section officer Surendra Naidu, senior clerk Nanda Pawar and students Alamari Sami Hamud, Obed Ahmed, both from Oman, and Mohsin Mehboob Shaikh from Mangalwar Peth, Pune. Pandit was also a member of the panel appointed by the UoP to probe the scam.
Assistant police inspector Mahesh Bolkotgi of Chatushrungi police station produced the seven suspects before judicial magistrate (first class) Maurlkar on Saturday.
The officer sought an extension of the police custody of the staff, saying investigation was needed to establish the link of involvement of other higher officials. The officer also sought extension of the custody of the three students, saying their interrogation was needed to get information about other foreign students who seem to have fled the country.
Assistant public prosecutor Rajendra Suryavanshi argued that custody of the senior UoP officials arrested was needed to get more information about the scam and whether more persons were involved in the scam.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment