4 yrs on, police force modernisation project still in cold storage
- Solar scam case: Kerala court orders FIR against CM Oommen Chandy
- Supreme Court recalls order appointing former judge Virendra Singh as UP Lokayukta
- Arunachal Governor cited ‘cow slaughter’ protest as one sign of law & order collapse in state
- BJP leader held for alleged cow slaughter in Madhya Pradesh, gets expelled from party
- Indian-American Muslims flay Government move against AMU, Jamia
Post-26/11, the Maharashtra police had brought out a huge shopping list for modernising the force but barely any hi-tech equipment has been bought over the last four years.
The state government had sought 2,500 bulletproof jackets for the force. Tenders were called for the jackets initially, but officials dithered on taking a decision due to questions over quality. ATS chief Hemant Karkare was wearing a bullet-proof jacket when Kasab and his accomplice fired. The jacket went missing later.
The state government was expected to scrap the tender of supplying 82 bomb suits worth Rs 6.25 crore after the supplier failed to deliver the suits. After giving the supplier an initial payment, the government backtracked saying that the suits were made in China and not USA. The supplier was asked to present the suits for quality check and reply to a notice. No progress has been made.
"We have used most of the funds allotted after the attacks. Some procurement could not be done due to hurdles," said Home Minister R R Patil.
- Dalit scholar’s death exposed inability of casteist Hindu to be modern
- Annotated edition of Hitler's Mein Kemph
- Why yuan matters Indian equity markets
- R-day and the saccharine sweet patriotism
- It is clear PM’s concept of nationhood extends beyond constitutional parameters
- The sensitive and old controversy about the minority character of AMU