42-year-old robbed, shot at in Bhandup
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Record 79 pc polling in Bengal; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: RCB pick early wicket as Starc removes Mayank
A cashier with a private firm was allegedly robbed and shot at on Wednesday morning in Bhandup. The victim managed to walk to his house, which is five minutes away from the scene of crime, after which his family took him to the hospital and alerted the police. An investigation has been initiated into the case, police said.
Police said the victim, identified as Umesh Rane (42), stays in Usha Complex in Bhandup. Rane, who works with Reliance Energy in its Kurla office, was walking to the station to take a train to Kurla when he was accosted by the suspects.
According to the wife's statement, the four assaulted Rane and took away two gold chains that he was wearing. They then tried to take his bracelet when Rane resisted. Following this, one of the four allegedly pulled out a gun and shot him in the stomach and fled.
"Rane managed to walk back home and told his wife about what had happened. She then took him to the Fortis Hospital, where he was successfully operated upon. He is out of danger. We will be taking his statement as soon as he recovers to give one," said senior police inspector Shrirang Nadgauda, Bhandup police station.
Police have registered a complaint of attempt to murder and robbery against unidentified persons and are currently making inquiries with offenders with a history of violent robbery.
"There are no CCTV cameras in the area where the crime occurred. We are making further investigations into the case," Nadgauda said.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18