43,000 applicants for 300 Gujarat govt assistant junior clerk jobs
- Gadkari's âproposalâ for Raj: Donât put up candidates for LS, it will be detrimental
- TRS wonât merge, Congress readies to walk alone in both Andhra and Bihar
- Tehelka rape case: Tarun Tejpal's bail plea hearing begins
- CBI to look into DLF high-rise plan near Rashtrapati Bhavan
- Smith announces sudden retirement, says fortunate to have had many highs
Prashant Vala (not his real name), 27, who completed his Master's in Engineering (ME) in 2011 with distinction, works as an assistant professor at a self-financed engineering college in Gandhinagar for a monthly salary of Rs 38,000. He is among the many MEs, MBAs, MCAs and other post-graduates who have applied for the post of assistant junior clerk at the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) ó a job that requires only a second-class graduate and pays much less.
While there are only 300 vacancies, the AMC has received 43,000 applications, including from 14,000 post-graduates, many having completed professional courses like ME, Master's in Business Administration (MBA), Master's in Commerce (M Com), Master's in Science (MSc), Master's in Computer Application (MCA) and Master's in Social Welfare (MSW).
The applicants spoke to The Indian Express on the condition that their names be changed.
"I know the salary will be less but it will provide me a secure job. Unlike the current job, where the college where I teach may shut down in 10 years," said Vala.
While the monthly salary is Rs 5,200, Rs 6,200 and Rs 7,200 for the first, second and third year respectively, the junior clerks get Rs 15,000-20,000 from the fourth year onwards.
"Unlike private companies where one is hounded by a fear of layoffs or the company shutting down, there is no such fear in this job. I will manage with the low pay," said Deepak Vaghela, 25, a BCA who went on to do his master's and now works in a BPO in Ahmedabad, drawing a monthly salary of Rs 11,000.
Kinjal Shah, 29, an MBA, who worked as an analyst in a finance company and is now employed as an administrative officer in Gujarat Technical University for a monthly salary of Rs 17,000, is another applicant.
- Russia tightens grip in Crimea, West threatens ‘consequences’
- Heavy patrolling in Sector 23 after thief leaves daring note
- Difference of opinion between Patil and UT’s senior standing counsel led to his resignation
- Commissioner to look into shady land deals in 35 villages: High Court
- Class X maths exam easy for some, tough for others
- Panchkula MC approves budget of Rs 39 crore