475 accidents took place on Pune-Mumbai E-way this year
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Rahul Gandhi files nomination, says he didn't get personal with Narendra Modi
On Sunday night, a tempo truck, that crossed the median and entered the Pune Mumbai lane, killed two Marathi actors, Anand Abhyankar and Akshay Vinayak Pendse, and Pendse's two-year-old son.
The statistics from the Pune division of the State Highway Police show that in 2012, around 25 accidents took place on the Pune Mumbai Expressway in which a heavy vehicle that had gone out of control of the driver have hit another vehicle coming in opposite direction and have caused about 15 deaths and 45 serious injuries.
State highway police said, the wide median on the Expressway many times stops the vehicles that go out of control of the driver and avert major mishaps. But if the vehicle is in very high speed, it crosses the median and enters the opposite lane. These head on collisions have caused many serious accidents.
Superintendent of police with Pune division of Highway police Dilip Bhujbal said, "This is a clear sign of over speeding. Heavy vehicles have caused a lot of deaths this year." Police also said that most of these accidents took place during night.
Bhujbal said, "After dinner or lunch, many a times the driver tends to doze off. A detailed study of accidents on the Pune-Mumbai Expressway in the past six years have revealed that around 55 per cent of them took place from 11 pm to 3 am and 3 pm to 5 pm.
In 2012, 108 people have lost their lives on the 93-km long Pune-Mumbai Expressway. The year has witnessed 475 accidents on the Expressway, in which 365 persons suffered injuries. Out of the 475 accidents, 110 accidents was registered in the Pune division which had 33 fatalities while the rest have been reported from the Thane division of the Highway police. Pune division had recorded 120 accidents and 52 deaths last year.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit