5 lakh more under Pune police, Pol wants force strength increased
- Parliament LIVE: Expert committee to review use of pellet guns, says Rajnath
- Dalit fury spills over to Gujarat streets, 9 more try to end lives; CM meets family assaulted in Una
- Hit by campus protests, FTII makes new students sign ‘decorum, decency’ affidavit
- Dalits are 'soft target' for cow vigilantes: fact finding team
- Suspicious bag found inside Dubai-Amritsar SpiceJet flight
Even as Home Minister R R Patil on Sunday announced the inclusion of 25 fringe villages of Pune and Pimpri-Chinchwad with a total population of over 5 lakh under Pune police jurisdiction, Police Commissioner Gulabrao Pol sought additional personnel.
The notification for inclusion of these villages was issued by the state government in 2009 but implementation was delayed owing to various reasons, police sources said.
The 25 villages, which were under the jurisdiction of Dehu Road, Loni Kalbhor and Haveli police stations of Pune rural limits, will now come under Nigdi, Dattawadi, Hadapsar, Kondhwa and Bharati Vidyapeeth police stations under city police limits. A formal announcement was made by Patil at Pune police headquarters.
Pol said, "For efficient policing of these newly-included areas in our jurisdiction, we require additional force. At present. manpower is inadequate."
Patil said, "Some police stations in Pune have one staffer for a population of 900 while for some other police stations, it is one for a population of 400. In this situation, if delimitation of police stations is required, the state government will support it." Patil instructed the Pune police administration to prepare a proposal for delimitation. He added that if some villages had problems with the inclusion in city limits, the complaints would be heard. "If more police stations are required in these areas, I will ask Pune police to submit detailed proposals in this regard."
Villages under Dehu Road police jurisdiction — Chikhali, Kudalwadi, Jadhavwadi, Shevalewadi, Phulenagar, Krishnanagar, Rupeenagar, Talawde and Morevasti — will now come under Nigdi police station.
Villages under Loni Kalbhor police station — Manjri Budruk, Phursungi, Mantarwadi, Katraj bypass linking Undri — will come under Hadapsar police station.
Undri Pisoli, Yeolewadi and Wadachi Wadi (Haveli police station) will now be handled by Kondhwa police station. Ambegaon, Jambhulwadi and Kolewadi will be part of Bharati Vidyapetth police station limits. Hingne Khurd, Vadgaon Budruk, Vadgaon Khurd, Dhayari and Narhe will now be attached to Dattawadi police station.
- UN faces a crisis, but its new secretary general is unlikely to upset tradition
- South China Sea verdict has changed the ground rules for future engagement with China
- Empowering women through JAM
- Resolution of citizen grievances is an indicator of the performance of government departments
- Telescope: Grace and the lack of it
- The endeavour for a common civil law must be to end discrimination, and not stamp majority might