5 myths about women busted
- LIVE: Ashutosh taken away for questioning; AAP gets EC notice over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
- âMamata is hiring honesty from Maharashtra through Annaâ
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
Experts have listed a few common assumptions about women that have been accepted as true since ages.
It starts with the myth that women are waiting for Prince Charming to marry them and put a bun in it. – there's a persistently irritating idea that careers, travel and an interest in the wider world are just the things a woman does to fill her time while waiting for her real life to happen - being proposed to in a restaurant, marrying in front of 200 of her nearest and dearest and giving birth to a baby.
Next comes women choosing things is a feminist act and can't be criticised - yes, choice is very important. It is, in fact, vital when it comes to things like child-rearing, abortion, sex, work, life, the universe and everything in between. But choice and the ability to exercise it in and of itself is not a feminist act; rather, it's the result of demanding women be entitled to autonomy the same way men are.
More importantly, defending women's right to choose whatever they like doesn't mean that other women have a duty to agree with those choices or even respect them, Stuff.co.nz reported.
Women are all jealous of each other – we are all entitled to a little irrational behaviour every now and again, and having a momentary surge of envy towards another woman because she doesn't have to wrestle with a cowlick seems to fit squarely in that bracket. But the idea that women engage solely with the world from an established position of envy and competition isn't just ludicrous and damaging.
Women lose their shit over cleaning products, yoghurt and K-Mart – most ads show woman wearing pearls smiling while cleaning her toilet, or talking about how fat free lemon cheesecake yoghurt is kind of the same thing as not hating yourself, or gesticulating wildly about how the new Schticky appliance has made mopping really which is totally not realistic.
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students