5.5 magnitude earthquake rocks Assam, six children injured
- Malaysia signals missing plane carrying 239 including 5 Indians has crashed
- Disquiet in BJP as M M Joshi, Sushma raise questions over selected candidates and seat sharing
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
- Rest in freeze: Is Ashutosh Maharaj 40-day âclinically deadâ or a guru in a very long meditation?
Six school children were injured and cracks appeared in buildings when a moderate earthquake of 5.5 intensity on the Richter scale rocked Assam.
The tremor, which occurred at 9.46 AM and lasted a few seconds, caused cracks to appear in the building of a middle school in Golaghat district, official sources said.
As scared students attempted to flee they fell and six of them were injured, the sources said, adding they were allowed to go after first aid.
The quake caused cracks in some other government school buildings as well and caused chunks of plaster to fall from the ceiling, they said.
Some old residential structures and buildings in the market also developed cracks in nearby Jorhat town. The epicentre of the tremor was in Karbi Anglong district at a depth of 20 km on latitude 26.5 degree north and longitude 93.5 degree east, Met office here said.